Thursday, March 26, 2009

Something New Once Again

Since i'm a member of LIU I get to hear some pretty good stuff. People trying new things. Products that worked or didn't work for others. The comments of many different consultants and what is happening with others locks. When the subject of taking responsibility for maintaining your own locks popped on the board my eyes were wide open. It was suggested that because many were having difficulty in maintaining appointments during this time of economic hardship we should learn to maintain our own locks. I so agree with that. Fortunatly, Kalidewdrop (i'm sorry if I misspelled your name.) was kind enough to post two YouTube diy's that helped quite a few of us learn to help ourselves. That being said here are a few pictures of my attempt at self retightening.





I learned that in order to have as much scalp showing, as many do, the hairs would have to be gathered ever so close. This in turns gives me a headache. I decided to lessen the rotations, which in turn didn't show o much scalp, and also ddn't give me a headache afterwards. My hair is doing it's own thing now. There are a few that the texture have changed on and some are just hanging around being themselves.
I think I did pretty good. What do you think??

11 comments:

Afrolady said...

I'm no expert or anything, but it looks like you did a GREAT job!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Sonya said...

Thanks so much. It helps to have someone elses eyes take a look. Keeps you from being delusional.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady, U did a great job!! You get a chance to really feel your hair and appreciate it "doing what iit do". Keep Striving!!

z said...

You did an exquisite job!! It looks as perfect as if you had gone to a consultant! I really do believe that you have it down now and you can continue tightening on your own. Just remember to be patient and don't over-tighten. It's ok if you don't complete a rotation. You are self-empowered now!

z said...

I'm proud of you too for trying! That's how it all began for me.

DrWaddell said...

You TOTALLY did it! Congrats! The process is NO JOKE. Much love to ya!

NECESSITY is STILL the mother of invention... isn't she?!

Unknown said...

Wow, looks great!! I just took the retightening class, as I'm not nearly as handy as Kalia or you! How did you manage to part the back? I still have not retightened there yet, and I'm pondering how to go about that. Did you use mirrors at all?

Sonya said...

Thanks everyone!!

Sunsail, I actually started in the back. Since I have sisterlocks there are parts already there to follow. I didn't use mirrors. I still haven't quite been able to utilize mirrors. I guess that could be a good thing. I follow the feel rule. I was shocked how well that worked.

JUST Euphoria said...

looks good I am patirntly waiting for new growth so i can try my hand at DIYIng.

Anonymous said...

I have only been sisterlocked for only 12 weeks and have also run into some financial difficulty and am contemplating doing my own hair, i was wondering how you knew what pattern to use when retightening? i am sure i can retighten on my own but am afraid to use the wrong pattern..

Sonya said...

As far as pattern goes , the only thing I knew was my install was done in a reverse4. My hair is fine and loose curl. In some spots no curl. I still have problems with that. So, when given the 4 pattern my some wonderful LIU members I ran and did the opposite. I has worked for me. Just be patient with yourself and don't over do it. As 3girlsmomma sai, necessity is the Mother of all inventions.